2012 was a great year for me in terms of reading. Although I did not read as many as I normally do, the books I did manage to finish were remarkable. Much of my reading was ministry or seminary related, although two history books made my top 10 list. Here are the top 10 books I read in 2012:
- Perelandra – C.S. Lewis This year I read the entire Space Trilogy series, and now I am kicking myself for not embracing this series earlier! This book, which is the second in this series, is a magnificent look at the Garden of Eden. Perelandra is one of Lewis’ best books.
- We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry – G.K. Beale A fantastic sweeping look at the theology of idolatry throughout the Bible. Every preacher should read this book.
- Unsinkable: The Full Story of the RMS Titanic – Daniel Allen Butler A remarkably engaging book describing the story of the Titanic. Well written and easy to read.
- The Circle Maker – Mark Batterson Batterson challenges Christians to make bold, God-sized prayers. This is a must-read for all pastors.
- Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach – Vern Poythress A great and deep book on relating science and religion. Poythress charts a path for Christians to engage in science without compromising their faith.
- The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains – Nicholas Carr A great read looking at how society—and how we think and behave—is being changed by the internet.
- The Explicit Gospel – Matt Chandler A must-read for all Christians, Chandler makes much of the Gospel.
- Turning the Tide: How a Small Band of Allied Sailors Defeated the U-boats and Won the Battle of the Atlantic – Ed Offley A fascinating read about the Battle of the Atlantic during World War 2. You will want to stand up and clap for all the brave sailors who risked their lives to send supplies across the Atlantic.
- Gospel Wakefulness – Jared C. Wilson Like Chandler, Wilson paints a beautiful picture of how the Gospel changes lives.
- Original Sin: Illuminating the Riddle – Henri Blocher A technical but good book summarizing the discussion and beliefs surrounding the doctrine of original sin.
Question: Do you have any book suggestions for 2013?Tweet